Monday, August 3, 2015

Rich is Turning 50!!

Pardon me if this is a bit of a narcissistic post, and not focused on writing, publishing or the academic life. I have connected to quiet a few people through this blog over the years, and so I wanted to share on a bit more personal level than I sometimes do.

I was born August 6, 1965. Perhaps that date means little to you, but it was twenty years to the day after we dropped the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima. So, my birthday is also one of the most auspicious, tragic days in the history of humanity. As someone who has long been deeply attuned to the bittersweet nature of human existence, I can create space for the joy and the pain, the sadness and the celebration. This year, I am particularly in touch with that dialectic, that paradox, that truism, or whatever you wish to call it. I think I will just call it life!

In a few days,  I turn 50. 50 years old; middle age only if I make it to 100. 50, the new 30! Here I am yesterday in my writing chair, days before turning 50.



I have been preparing for this day for the last year.  I took my sabbatical last fall in celebration of my 50th year, and felt a profound sense of gratitude and peace about where my life was and was headed. I was in Manila, the Philippines; I recall one particular night filled with a deep sense of joy, gratitude, meaning, and wonder. I splurged on a partially nice hotel room for a couple of nights. I went to one of my favorite restaurants, the Hobbit House, and I spent a couple of hours writing in my journal there, and after in my room. I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace; everything in my life was in place. Not perfect, not at all, no life is perfect. Yet, I had this powerful sense that I knew just how my life was going to unfold, in terms of the structure, my family, my future.

Well, as the expression goes, we make plans and the universe laughs :). I am now divorced and my "baby" is turning 18 on the same week I turn 50. She is off to Switzerland for an amazing gap year adventure. I am proud of her, oh so proud. I am also going to miss her, so very, very much.

And so, I sit here in my favorite cafe, Bluebeard Coffee Roasters, which I affectionately refer to as "my office" and think about that night in Manila. I am not as filled with such peace and certitude, but damn it, life is pretty good!

I think about my health; its fantastic; I go to the gym five time a week and am able to do some pretty serious HIIT.  I feel great. I am single, and am learning to explores the possibilities of that!  I have had more adventures in my lifetime than most people dreamed of. I have raised children that I love deeply, learned what sacrifice means, and both the power and limits of love and marriage. I have good friends that love me, that have loved me for years, even decades.  A mom that has stepped up for me like nobody. I have had amazing dogs that have helped me write 15 plus books and 120 articles; could not have done it without them! My career has been amazing. Not perfect, but, that is why we call it work! Still, I am a full professor, and some of my scholarship seems to have touched some hearts. I love, love, love my coaching practice. Life, as my dear departed friend Gil Schoenstein would say, "is good."

If you know me, you know that I am on the verge of tears; I am a sensitive soul, in spite of my sometimes gruff, intense moments. A year ago I could not have imagined my life at almost 50 being the way it is now, but that is part of the mystery of it, right. Like writing (yeah, I had to throw in something about writing!), you just have to show up for it, each and every day, work on your "stuff" and wait for the magic to unfold. I am excited for future magic, as a newly 50 year old guy!




14 comments:

  1. “Fall in love with some activity, and do it! Nobody ever figures out what life is all about, and it doesn't matter. Explore the world. Nearly everything is really interesting if you go into it deeply enough. Work as hard and as much as you want to on the things you like to do the best. Don't think about what you want to be, but what you want to do. Keep up some kind of a minimum with other things so that society doesn't stop you from doing anything at all.”
    ― Richard Feynman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! My life is "richer" because of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words! The feeling is more than mutual :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got lucky and walked into Johns Blue Note where you were running an open mic night. We quickly became friends as I remember it which is not common for me. Listening to you and others read, and talking about the process really helped me form a voice in both my writing and reciting. You were very in tune and relentless with the creative process. Tireless. There were many times I experienced a sort of magic in writing and reciting that I wouldnt have... had we not met. I still enjoy listening to your poetry recordings when they pop up on my CD changer set on shuffle...always brings me back memories of our poetic adventures. Happy 50 Rich!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My poetic response would be much darker and textured. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you my friend. It has been way too long since you have seen each other. Please take a drink out to Tacoma for more writing, reading, reunion.

      Rich

      Delete
    3. Being
      Being me
      Being more
      Being more of me
      Being me more
      Being more of me
      Being more of me than before
      Being more than me
      Being more and more
      More is me
      More is too much
      Too much

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday, then. And thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy half-a-century! Thank you for being a great coach and a great friend. Over the years you have helped me accomplish more with writing than I ever thought possible. Your guidance, encouragement and willingness to share knowledge is something I am eternally grateful for. You deserve an amazing birthday in celebration of you, all that you have done, and all that you are still yet to do. In fact, you deserve a whole birthday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you sir have become one of my dearest friends. And two books with world class university presses even before your PhD? Boo ya!!

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday Brother. I like chocolate. Do you like chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks for your post Jaime. Bring back tons of good memories of our lives as MSW students together. Lets make more! Happy B day to you in a couple. Two years to fifty my friends. Lets do this thing called life!

      Delete