Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Gil Schoenstein, Gardner, Writer

I try to keep my blog, for the most part, focused on writing, publishing, and the academic life. Yet, I would not feel good about myself if I did not acknowledge my dear friend Gil Schoenstein. Gill was one my best friends when I was in my late teens and early twenties., and remained a dear friend until his death at age 39. He was one of the kindest men I have ever met.

Gil was a master gardener, yes, but mostly, he was a master at living. Gil's favorite expression, which he said often, was "life is good."Mabye, yes, but Gil, you were good. So good.

This week marks ten years since Gil's death. Gil, sweet dear friend, you are still missed.

Since this blog is about writing, here is one of a few articles Gil wrote about indoor gardening. Even if gardening is not your thing, please give it a read. There is a simple elegance to his writing, an understated directness that is admirable.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Rich,
    Gil's friend Leslie from Minnesota here. Just happened upon this and have to thank you for so eloquently and beautifully acknowledging Gil. A true light in this world.
    londondesign@outlook.com

    ReplyDelete