Monday, August 24, 2015

Eat The World

My youngest daughter, Sugs, (Rebecca, but she will always be Sugs to me) recently moved to Switzerland to begin her gap year working/studying at a bording school in the alps! I am so proud of her; she did this all herself.

When she arrived and emailed me that she was ok, these were my only words to her in response: Eat the world.

I want my baby to live with a brave spirit. She is an anxious soul, but is learning to not let her anxiety stop her from living, from taking a big bite out of this world, from living with a sense of adventure and wonder.

I have tried to live my life this way, eating the world, taking it in, in all its fullness. Savoring the internal and external adventures. Its not always been easy. At 50, the passions are somewhat tempered; perhaps this is a good thing. Yet, I want to eat the world still too! I want want to live with a spirit of adventure, journeys within and afar.

And many of my adventures have been with and through writing. Through the teaching of writing and publishing, I have traveled to three continents. I have conducted research in a half a dozen or so countries.  I have had weeks where all I have had to do is write, eat, and sleep. I have been very, very lucky.

And this is what I want for you, my readers. I don't want writing to be this horrible thing that you dread. I want you to come to view it as another means of eating the world. An adventure that is full of possibilities and wonder. Yeah it is #((# hard at times. But oh, what an amazing gift we have, what an amazing way of having internal adventures when the external ones are not possible. Whatever is stopping you, if there indeed is anything, fix it. Not in that new age, self helpy, I am going to manifest it into my life fantasy way, but really do the work you need to do to transcend what blocks you, blocks you from eating the world.

Eat the world readers. Eat the world Sugs. Eat the world.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea.

    My favourite saying is 'glass half full'. I say it to myself several times a day. In every situation that I face, there are good things and there are bad things. I can choose which ones to focus on. And I choose to focus on the good ones. #GlassHalfFull

    ReplyDelete