Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Taking A Break From The Change Process

One of my favorite clients has decided to stop working with me for now. She may begin back working with me during the winter term. We were about to start an additional ten weeks of work together; this would have followed a ten week period. Her "gut" told her it was time to take a break.

I applaud her for the courage to listen to her gut; this is not easy to do. I think she was a bit concerned that I would be disappointing in her (or perhaps, my projection/misinterpretation); I am in fact proud. One of our themes has been her owning her new position as a senior faculty member with tenure (yay!); that demands a new level of self-direction, autonomy, and choice.

There are times when it is wise to take a break (at least) from every change process to see what has taken hold. In the process of weekly coaching or therapy, it is not always clear what skills, tools, or new sensibilities we currently "own." We need to take some space, live our lives, and see how we are performing what we have explored and learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment