Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Good Morning Mr. Death

One of my all time favorite quotes is from Somerset Maugham's "Of Human Bondage". My memory of it, at least, is this: "Good morning Mr. Death, what do you have in store for your bright eyed boy today?"

This notion of death as a life giving force is congruent with existential tought, which has influenced me greatly at different times in my life. The ever present specter of death, if we allow ourselves to be in fully in touch with it, pushes us to consider the importance of each day, each hour, each moment of our lives.

Good morning Mr. Death...Do I have time to waste spending hours THINKING about writing and not writing? Do I have time to not live according to my goals and dreams? Do I have time spending hours surfing the web? Do I really have time to languish in depression and inactivity and not do anything about it? Can I afford to not reach out for help when I know I need it?

Maybe..but...what would you differently in your creative life today if you were fully in touch with Mr. (or misses) Death?

Do it..now....at least for a half hour...go..

And if you can't, take one step to reach out to someone who could help...anyone..do it..

No comments:

Post a Comment