Saturday, February 6, 2016

Coach, Coach Thyself

Social workers, therapists, and other helpers can spend so much time helping others that we forget about our own needs, limitations, and desires. This is especial true, at times, for me in my coaching practice. I so badly want things to go well for those I work with that I take it very personally when they are not thriving, when all their academic need are not met. Wow, big expectations, Rich. Chill!

That is where I am today; I am having to work on my internalized expectations for others, and for myself. People begin where they are, and we can only be part of their journey toward their own growth; this growth is at times not as quick as I wish, or they wish, it would be. I have to remember that. Gentleness for others, gentleness for self.

Tonight, I am going to go to Seattle to see an old school punk rock show and a spoken word performance. I am going to have a nice meal, and have a nice drink. Tomorrow, I will get back to problem solving and focusing on others.

My plan.

A bit of writing. A work out. My monthly steak. Music. Poetry. Cuddle with my dogs. My plan. I will follow it.



1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your evening out Rich. Thank you for inspiring words. I needed those.

    ReplyDelete