Monday, November 17, 2014

Writing Like an Academic?

I found this thought provoking article in the New Yorker, Why is Academic Writing So Academic. Written by a former academic (or at least a former professor, the author clearly is still using his scholarly training), the article explores many of the paradoxes and issues with writing "like an academic."

As I have written about previously, sometimes academics confuse clarity with banality, and by extension, opacity with erudition.

Clear writing for complex ideas is one of my guiding principles. It is one of the reasons I have been studying creative non-fiction during my sabbatical quarter.

Read the article to which I have linked. In a free-write, explore the implications for your writing practices and for your career, if you dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment