Thursday, May 30, 2013

Desite it all....

Slick, my 15 year old dog, died last night. I had to put him to sleep; his heart disease progressed, and he was left a shell of his former self, and was starting to suffer.

Today, I am left empty. I feel soulless; those of you who love companion animals deeply will understand. And so today, I will write, despite it all. I will write with a heavy heart, with a deep and profound loneliness that rattles me to the core. I will write, because in the end, it truly does not matter if I do or don't so I just might as well. This is how I have managed through the years, through deaths, disease, heartache. I write because, I write in spite of, I write anyhow.

Slick, I write these words for you today. Your life gave me life, your warmth and grouchy love gave me the comfort to write books I never dreamed would I be able to write, articles I did not know I had in me. You, dear sweat and grouchy boy, mattered to me.

And this dear readers, is all I have to offer to you today. If you write today, and if I ever have inspired you to write, please dedicate a few of your words to the memory of my dear boy, Slick.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so very sorry to hear about your loss! Animals are such important family members. All my words today are Slick's. Nina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote for Slick, today, too. Sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear about Slick. Sending you positive vibes and wishing you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cat is sitting beside me as I write and he has done that for 15 years. My words today are for Slick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss. My words today will be just for him...

    ReplyDelete