Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Teaching Writing Productivity to Students

One of the courses that I am teaching  this quarter is designated a "writing intensive" course. Along with this designation comes the requirement of integrating certain types of writing assignments/experiences our work. These can include staged/scaffolded assignments, peer critiques, low stakes writing, etc.

So, I have been experimenting with teaching the methods and techniques that I have developed over the years with my students, and so far, they really seem to be appreciating it. Students have been practicing developing writing rituals and self-talk mantras, evaluating the quality of their  45 minute writing sessions, developing clear entry points, balancing more creative and analytical modes of writing with the more editorial, along with other tools I have explored in this blog. After two weeks of half hour lectures, I have received nearly a dozen emails thanking me for this content. That has never happened before--not in over 20 years of teaching.

Why are we not including this in our curriculum, I ask, rhetorically. This is what I am pondering tonight, cup of Japanese Sencha in hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment