Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Why Writing is Not Hard #1


Because even in a late-night town like Singapore, where I am sitting right (write) now, there is always somewhere I can write, public or private.  The Hanger, a hybrid pub/coffee house on Arab Street (actual name). It is 10am and oddly, most of the coffee houses are not open yet on nearby Haji Lane, the tourist/cutsty street I came to check out this morning. The whole street, is closed; I just found out it is a late-night spot. I have limited time here and a lot to see, so I will miss seeing Haji Lane in all its cuteness-glory.

I could let myself be sad--my initial, internal response--be thrown off by this piece of poor planning, and convince myself that I “can’t write” now (too annoyed, bothered).  I could also be thrown off by it being 9/11 in the States, a painful day for all of us, and the date of my divorce, three years ago (loss, grief, failure).

Or, I can feel what I am meant to feel, observe the steam of thoughts in my mind, be witness to myself, and engage in some good self-talk, if need be.


I am getting after it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment