Saturday, October 21, 2017

I Do Not Text

When people tell me they will send me a text, I inform them I don't use that tool, and will not read or respond to them.  I just don't. Ever. Never. Yes, I seem as if I am from an other planet in such moments.

I do not wish to engage the world in that manner. If someone needs me immediately, they can call. However, I am not willing to be on call to 24/7, and text messaging connects us in ways that are far, far to intrusive for my tastes.  If you wish to write to me, send me an email, which encourages at least a moment of thought and reflection

Consider how quickly you respond when you hear your text messaging "go off." How often does it break your concentration, and thus make you work longer and harder? Is it helping you meet your personal and professional goals?

Choose what technologies you use carefully. Own them, or they will own you. Clients who carefully consider their technology use find small changes and be transformative. Simple changes can lead to huge gains in writing, work, and productivity with little loss.

That said, the actual nature of the tools we use define how we use them. Many technologies are designed to be addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment