Friday, April 5, 2013

A therapy video with a writer working on his procrastination


I found this video looking for materials for a class I am teaching on cognitive based approaches to change. I thought I would share it with you, as it presents a therapy session with an author who talks about his procrastination problem.  Watch the video and see if you can relate to some of his "process," and see how he creates barriers that inhibit his work. Also, consider how the session can help you think through ways of exploring your own problems with procrastination. The REBT or cognitive-based approach helps you identify the thoughts and behaviors that can inhibit your work.

If you have these issues, see if you can use this material to make some changes. If you can do it yourself, great. If not, seek a mentor, writer/s group, therapist, or writing coach!

See video

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the video. It helped me realize how the concept of freedom can be unknowingly tied to procrastination. I recently left an extremely well paid job to pursue a career in writing thinking it was going to happen "if I only had the time." Now that I have the time, it's been a problem, at times, to stay on task. The video provided insight into some possible strategies that may prove useful.

    ReplyDelete