Monday, July 9, 2018

The Ideas That Harm Scholars

My next few posts are going to be about the ideas that harm scholars. Each are often accepted, and uncritically evaluated. I am going to explore each, opening them up to critiques based upon logic, utility, and/or research. I am sure I will add to this list, but I will start with the following problematic ideas:

Writing is inherently hard
Publishing is too difficult
Higher education/"The University" is an oppressive institution
You can't be productive and happy
Working in higher education places one at risk of mental illness
You are a bad writer or a good writer
"Industry jobs" are inherently better than academic jobs
Academics must work too many hours in order to be successful

It is easy to find advocates for each of these positions in social media. Each of them are flawed.

I have addressed many of these before, and frankly, I know that I have "gotten on my soapbox" about a few of them on more than one occasion.

I am passionate about helping scholars having thriving careers--living the live that they wish to live. When I read thing that stand in their (our) way, ideas that are based upon myth, ideas not supported by theory, research or practice, I call them out.

I am calling the one's above out.





No comments:

Post a Comment